The designer of the building is the architect Gustav Winkler. It was built in 1875 as the winter residency of Edwin von Wolff, baron of Stāmeriena Manor. In 1884, the heirs of the baron sold the house to the Consul of Switzerland, manufacturer, and merchant Constantin Sturtz. He acquired additional land and expanded the garden. When Sturtz passed away in 1925, his heirs sold the building to the Latvian Merchant Union. In 1926, architect Eižens Laube designed a reconstruction project for the building. A single-storey renaissance-style building named The White Grasswas built in the yard, and a dining hall, library, and many other rooms with rich interior design, stained glass windows, and sculptures were arranged in the mansion. The House was created taking well-known Russian Merchant Clubs as examples. This building hosted merchant conferences and congresses and several significant Latvian companies were founded there as well. Many well-known individuals were involved in the work of the Latvian Merchant Union - Vilis Ķuze, Eduards Kurauss, Pēteris Dannenbergs, Ludvigs Neiburgs, Jānis Brigaders, and others. In 1936, by a decision of the minister of internal affairs, the instruction was given to close down the Latvian Merchant Union, and in 1937 it ceased operations. Since 1937, the owner of the building has been the Latvian Chamber of Commerce and Industry, which was founded on 30 December 1935 to represent and facilitate commerce and industry in Latvia. In August 1940, the Central Committee of the Communist Party of the Latvian SSR was accommodated in this building. Later, for many years it served as Riga Technical House.